The Summer is upon us and thus begins all the beach fun, pool parties, BBQs and if you are in South Texas like me—hiding out in the coolest room in your home with the AC on max. Regardless of a summer picnic at the park, or just a lazy afternoon at home, nothing quite satisfies such as a cool, cucumber and tomato sandwich. This recipe is great for kids and adults alike. Give it a try for a fast sandwich fix, that’ll surely cool the scorching heat of the summer. For an added juicy treat, try some fresh strawberries on the side!
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 0 mins
Ready in: 10 mins
Recipe makes for 1 serving
- 2 Slices of Whole Wheat Bread (Substitute with White, or Honey Wheat Bread as per preference)
- 1 tablespoon of Land O Lakes Sweet cream Spreadable Butter with Canola Oil** (Substitute with any other type of spreadable butter, as per preference. Light spreadable butter also works well.)
- ½ large cucumber, peeled, sliced in circular pieces
- 1 small tomato, sliced in circular pieces
- 1 teaspoon of Chaat masala** (Optional, for an Indian flavor. Can be found in an Indian grocery store near you.)
- 2 Strawberries, cut (Optional, as a juicy side.)
- Chill the sliced cucumber pieces and sliced tomato pieces in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Collect the chilled cucumber and tomato pieces from Step 1 from the refrigerator. Also collect the bread, butter, and optionally the Chaat masala.
- Place 2 slices of whole wheat bread, apart, on a plate.
- Spread ½ tablespoon of Land O Lakes Sweet cream Spreadable Butter with Canola Oil evenly on one slice of bread.
- Repeat Step 4 on the other slice of bread.
- Evenly spread the previously peeled and sliced, cucumber pieces on one slice of bread.
- Evenly spread the previously sliced tomato pieces on top of the cucumbers from Step 6.
- Optionally, spread the Chaat masala on top of the tomatoes for an Indian flavoring.
- Place the remaining, buttered bread slice on top of the other, cucumber and tomato piled bread.
- Place the cut strawberries on the side (optional), and enjoy!
Copyright © Sherley J. Edinbarough (Surely, Sherley and/or SurelySherley), 2014.